Automated Refuse Collection
Preparation of Refuse
- All loose refuse shall be wrapped, bundled, bagged, or otherwise contained before being placed in approved containers to prevent spillage and littering when collected.
- All refuse containers shall be securely closed during storage and when placed for collection.
- All refuse must be contained within the cart provided.
- All refuse placed for collection outside appropriate carts may be collected with the carts for a fee, or will be left, tagged noting the problem with the collection.
Storage & Placement of Carts
- Automated carts may be stored at the front of houses so long as they are kept neatly against the house or in an inconspicuous location, with all trash contained within the cart and with the lid tightly shut.
- Carts for automated collection shall be placed near the curb in locations designated by the Public Works Director, or his designee, providing a two foot minimum clearance from parked cars, mailboxes, other carts, etc.
- Carts placed in unapproved locations or in non-conformance may be collected for a fee.
- Carts shall be placed with the wheel side of the cart facing the dwelling.
- In any case, storage of refuse that becomes a nuisance to adjacent residents shall be relocated at the direction of the Public Works Department.
Weight & Size of Materials
Automated carts shall not weigh in excess of the following:
- 100 pounds for a 35-gallon container
- 200 pounds for a 65-gallon container
- 250 pounds for the 95-gallon container
Call Public Works to schedule a bulk collection of large items not able to fit in the cart such as household furniture or appliances, which may be collected in accordance with bulk collection provisions.
The city shall provide the following number of carts to each residential structure based on the number of dwelling units per structure:
- One Dwelling Unit - One Cart
- Two or Three Dwelling Units - Two Carts
- Four or Five Dwelling Units - Three Carts
- Six Dwelling Units - Four Carts
The carts shall remain the property of the city. The owner, occupant, or proprietor of any individual structure may lease one additional cart from the city for an annual fee of $100.
Refuse carts shall be city-purchased 35, 65, or 95 gallon, wheeled carts with attached lids.
Any person violating this article shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction thereof, shall be fined not less than $100, nor more than $250, for the first offense and for any subsequent offense occurring within 18 months of a prior conviction.
Each day during which such violation is committed, maintained, or permitted to continue shall constitute a separate offense and shall be punishable as such.
For further information, please call 302-366-7000.