Go To Search
How Do I...?
Click to Home
Special Use Permits
Municipal Code: Chapter 32
The Municipal Zoning Code regulates all land uses within each zoning district. Some uses, however, are permitted only if City Council reviews and issues a "Special Use Permit." These conditionally permitted uses are listed within each Zoning District category in the Zoning Code.

If you intend to use your property for a use which the Code lists as requiring a Special Use Permit, you should submit to the City Secretary's Office the following:
  • Completed application form.
  • Twenty-five copies of a plot plan of the property prepared by a registered engineer or surveyor, showing existing and proposed structures and the relationship of your plot to neighboring lots.
  • A letter of transmittal addressed to the Mayor and Members of Council containing statements discussing the use in terms of its effect on the health or safety of persons residing or working in the neighborhood of the proposed use; whether or not it is detrimental to the public welfare or injurious to property or improvements in the neighborhood; and whether or not it conflicts with the purposes of the Comprehensive Development Plan of the City.

Application forms are available in the City Secretary's Office and the Planning Department. Please consult with the Planning Department for guidance in preparing the necessary documents. The Planning Department and City staff will then review the plot plan and supporting materials and make recommendations to City Council.

Public Hearing & Permit Approval
Your Special Use Permit application will be advertised and a public hearing scheduled before City Council within one month of your filing date. Council may grant approval, approval with conditions, or deny the application. If approval is granted, you may apply for Building Permits if needed.

Special Use Permits expire if construction or operation does not begin within one year of Council approval.

Fees for Special Use Permits are governed by City Ordinance.